Thursday 26 January 2012

Album Review - My Morning Jacket, Evil Urges


I've started to listen to My Morning Jacket since they were crowned best indie rock act in 2006 (Z) and before they were the opening band for Pearl Jam during their 2006 US tour. 

Evil Urges is the most musically friendly album by MMJ. However this positive sounding attribute is the source of criticism from their long time fans. Much of the complaint about "Evil Urges" has been directed towards what some fans perceive to be a more extreme departure from their earlier sounds. There is a departure from their previous style of experimentation with songs. It seems that they are playing it to safe this time around. It is a record that is very different from the brand of Americana roots rock that they produced with their first three records.

But I have no problem with that. The fact that the first album that I've listened from this band is "Z" made it easier for me to digest "Evil Urges". Moreover, I love bands that evolve as they get older. The quality of some of the songs is pure beauty and Jim James' incredibly expressive voice have never been better. Complemented by a funky bass throughout, made all the songs comprehensible (but not equally enjoyable). The songs in this album keeps on growing on me with every listen. That is why it took me so long to review it.

But I'm satisfied enough to say MMJ's experimentation in this album succeeded.


Songs that manage to creep into my Ipod:

Evil Urges
Highly Suspicious
I'm Amazed
Thank You Too
Sec Walkin'
Remnants
Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment