Thursday 28 July 2011

Sepak Takraw - Toughest Sport On The Planet?

Old - Rattan made                           New - Synthetic rubber

I've played the game back in 1998-99, and for me, the sport is not as overwhelming as it looks. This however depends on the level of experience. Whats for sure; its not the type of game which you could straight away play, though I think the takraw is easier to control with your feet than a football. But it has to be said that the ball is hard.

Each side would have three players. Service guy, feeder, and the crazy acrobatic kung fu-esque SOG. Since i'm not the ultra flexible type, normally my role would be confined as the servicer (tekong) or feeder. But that was a long time ago. I'm even shorter than the net at that time...

In Malaysia the game was once known as sepak raga (basket made out of rattan). I think this is a sport which has been used as a diplomatic game between Malaysia and Thailand back then.

According to Eric Adelson, sepak takraw might be the toughest sport, using a ball as a medium, on the planet. Even though mainly a popular sport in SE Asia, it should be noted that the game of takraw have been played since the 14th century.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201107/dont-try-home-sepak-takraw-may-be-toughest-sport-planet

He has a point...

Watch outtt!

That is some crazy shit considering the height of the net being 1.52 meters.

Epic View
Sums up what the sport is all about
 
It might be technically hard, but I wont say its the toughest physically. Its more like volleyball on steroids.
 



.....but, then.....
    


1 comment:

  1. I merely started reading this page and just after few seconds, I uncovered it quite interesting. I read your mostly all
    the posts. Nice posts, thanks a lot for sharing the posts wonderful.

    ReplyDelete